Album: Marius Neset, Golden Xplosion (Edition)
Sunday 08 May 2011
Norwegian tenor and soprano player Neset has produced a stonking debut demonstrating a fully formed musical personality over 11 original compositions.
It sounds as if he can do anything: super-fast playing in the broken-beat rhythms of Steve Coleman; sensitive ballads in a keening Northern wail, plus avant-garde solo interludes. The band of Django Bates on keyboards, Jasper Hoiby on bass and drummer Anton Eger match Neset every step of the way.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures