CD of the week
Album: Maroon 5, Overexposed (A&M/Octone)
After "Moves Like Jagger", the fourth single from a dying album, became a surprise megahit, early Noughties flash-in-the-pans Maroon 5 improbably find themselves back on the agenda.
And, nothing if not commercially driven, Adam Levine & co have taken the hint and ventured even further into a pop direction on their fourth effort.
Beginning with Max Martin co-write "One More Night", a piece of electro-reggae that makes Ace of Base sound like Lee "Scratch" Perry, the album is typified by the super-wet single "Payphone", and every song sounds as if it was custom made to play behind the montage of someone's "journey" in a TV talent show. Another word for the colour "maroon" is "plum". The sooner this bunch of plums fade back into obscurity, the better.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.