Album: Mary J. Blige, My Life II... The Journey Continues (Act 1) (Interscope/Geffen)
The high priestess of emotional turmoil returns to her apparently turbulent personal life on this latest album, vacillating between obsessive devotion, self-assertive morale-boosting and the kind of masochistic abasement depicted in "Mr Wrong".
The usual associates – Busta Rhymes, Nas, Beyoncé, Lil Wayne – act as a Greek chorus, and at first the sinuous charms of songs like "Midnight Drive" and "Ain't Nobody" smooth over the bumpy emotional terrain. But by the time she's berating some partner for not listening to her, your sympathies wane. Things improve: "Need Someone" has a graceful, tender touch, while "Someone to Love Me" surprises with the understated tread and haunted manner of Dr John's "Gris Gris".
DOWNLOAD THIS Someone to Love Me; Need Someone; Midnight Drive; Ain't Nobody
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Samuel Beckett's biographer reveals secrets of the writer's time as a French Resistance spy
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- < Previous
- Next >