Album: Meat Loaf
Bat Out of Hell III - the Monster is Loose, MERCURY
Friday 20 October 2006
"The Future Ain't What It Used To Be", claims a track on this third instalment of the Bat Out of Hell series. That's clearly contradicted by the album itself, which appears to have frozen musical time exactly as it was three decades ago, when the original appeared. Everything is essentially the same, just a bit louder and more bombastic - when lead guitar breaks are required, widdly dinosaurs such as Brian May and Steve Vai are trundled out, while the pseudo-operatic overtones are exaggerated by overblown arrangements employing the most clichéd notions of classical "majesty" - a Carmina Burana-style chorale on "Monstro", an angelic child chorister singing Latin counterpoint on "Seize the Night". Even poignancy is wielded like a cudgel, when Uillean pipes and Celtic harp join Loaf's maudlin vibrato on the climactic "Cry to Heaven". Loaf himself provides the perfect tag-line for the project in "Land of the Pigs" when he sings: "In the land of the pigs, the butcher is king/ Listen to the marketplace sing".
DOWNLOAD THIS: 'Seize the Night', 'If It Ain't Broke, Break It'
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world