Album: Meat Loaf
Bat Out of Hell III - the Monster is Loose, MERCURY
Friday 20 October 2006
"The Future Ain't What It Used To Be", claims a track on this third instalment of the Bat Out of Hell series. That's clearly contradicted by the album itself, which appears to have frozen musical time exactly as it was three decades ago, when the original appeared. Everything is essentially the same, just a bit louder and more bombastic - when lead guitar breaks are required, widdly dinosaurs such as Brian May and Steve Vai are trundled out, while the pseudo-operatic overtones are exaggerated by overblown arrangements employing the most clichéd notions of classical "majesty" - a Carmina Burana-style chorale on "Monstro", an angelic child chorister singing Latin counterpoint on "Seize the Night". Even poignancy is wielded like a cudgel, when Uillean pipes and Celtic harp join Loaf's maudlin vibrato on the climactic "Cry to Heaven". Loaf himself provides the perfect tag-line for the project in "Land of the Pigs" when he sings: "In the land of the pigs, the butcher is king/ Listen to the marketplace sing".
DOWNLOAD THIS: 'Seize the Night', 'If It Ain't Broke, Break It'
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict