Album: My Little Cheap Dictaphone, The Tragic Tale of a Genius (Pias)
Sunday 09 January 2011
It starts so well. For the first few minutes of their third album, My Little Cheap Dictaphone – a Belgian band led by Redboy – mine the same rich seam of vintage sounds as the Real Tuesday Weld and the Shortwave Set, creating a haunted junkshop feel.
Thereafter it all descends into vaguely Arcade Fire-like indie, which aims for Bunnymen-esque grandeur but is constantly undermined by the similarity between the singer's voice and that of the bloke from Del Amitri.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >