Album: Neneh Cherry & The Thing, The Cherry Thing (Smalltown Supersound)
Sunday 17 June 2012
Cherry's version of Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream" is an unmissable marvel and one of the performances of the year, the Swedish free-jazz band's thrumming bass riff and squalling sax (by leader Mats Gustafsson), creating a hypnotic gloss on an already hypnotic tune.
Elsewhere, it's not the freedom of the backing that's the problem so much as the randomness of the material, with several songs feeling as if they were chosen to look hip rather than sound interesting.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >