Album: Olly Murs, In Case You Didn't Know (Epic)
It's the erosion of true character – especially vocal character – in favour of spurious "personality" that may be talent-show telly's most damaging effect on pop. Olly Murs might have a lovely onscreen personality, but only the merest glimmers of character are allowed to shine through the swaddling retro-pop arrangements of In Case You Didn't Know, as when his tremulous pipings are buoyed on the organ and horns of "Oh My Goodness". For the most part, it's cruise-liner-show bland, even the fulsome claims of heartbreak and misery being delivered with implausibly high spirits, over anonymous settings bereft of mus-ical signature. The worst offenders are the title-track and "Tell the World", a brace of "reggae" tracks at the heart of the album, so soul-sappingly vanilla they make The Police seem like Burning Spear. Music this offensive should come with a warning sticker, surely?
DOWNLOAD THIS Oh My Goodness
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Real-life Philomena says film is not 'anti-Catholic'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims