Album: One Direction, Up All Night (Syco)
Sunday 27 November 2011
At a recent pub quiz, I failed to answer a question about which two 2010 X Factor losers had No 1 singles in 2011.
"Cher Lloyd and... er..." The answer was One Direction, a cobbled-together quintet of barely pubescent boys with dish-mop hair and "are you local?" nostrils. Debut album Up All Night consists of 15 instalments of inoffensive daytime radio pop, of which half the songs sound like "I Want it that Way" by BSB, the other half like "Free Falling" by Tom Petty. It will sell by the zillion.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains