Album: Pat Metheny, What's it all About (Nonesuch)
Sunday 26 June 2011
Bizarrely, star guitarist Metheny appears to be paying tribute to that bloke in the pizza restaurant who plays "The Girl from Ipanema" on Friday nights.
This solo set of covers, done mainly on baritone guitar, includes a fussy version of "The Sound of Silence", a beautifully chiming "Alfie" and a cool slice of "Betcha by Golly, Wow", before he pizzas us out again with "And I Love Her". Fusion fans might be confused but as a sentimental affirmation of melody it's Metheny to the core.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
X Factor winners: Where are they now?
Dancing on Ice 2014 line-up revealed
Ben Whishaw to play Freddie Mercury in Dexter Fletcher film
Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat: Peter Capaldi is worlds away from Malcolm Tucker
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >