Album: Paul McCartney, Kisses on the Bottom (Mercury/Hear Music)
Sunday 05 February 2012
Why, Paul, why? The flinch-inducing title, lifted from Fats Waller's "I'm Going to Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter", suggests that McCartney lacks anyone to tell him when he's had a terrible idea.
That song is the opener of a set of 12 covers and two originals. No expense has been spared in giving them an authentically vintage feel: to paraphrase Dolly, it costs a lot of money to sound this cheap. He used to be in The Beatles so if we don't like it, we can kiss his bottom.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage