Album: Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm With You (Warner Brothers)
Friday 26 August 2011
It's business as usual, but with diminishing returns, on I'm With You – the result, perhaps, of sticking with the producer Rick Rubin for six albums.
Too many tracks are ideas searching for closure: "Ethiopia" is hung around one of Flea's bass struts, infectious but undeveloped; "Look Around" is a bland funk-jam rap, as if Anthony Kiedis were sketching observations from a speeding car; and "The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie" is such an abject, aimless jam-rocker it could be The Spin Doctors. The Chili Peppers fare better when they stick to gritty riffing on "Goodbye Hooray", guitars scurrying around like vermin scattering from the light, or make a serious play of their pop-rock leanings, as on the slick "Monarchy Of Roses" and anthemic "Brendan's Death Song".
DOWNLOAD THIS: Monarchy Of Roses; Brendan's Death Song; Goodbye Hooray
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments