Album: Red Hot Chili Peppers, I'm With You (Warner Brothers)
Friday 26 August 2011
It's business as usual, but with diminishing returns, on I'm With You – the result, perhaps, of sticking with the producer Rick Rubin for six albums.
Too many tracks are ideas searching for closure: "Ethiopia" is hung around one of Flea's bass struts, infectious but undeveloped; "Look Around" is a bland funk-jam rap, as if Anthony Kiedis were sketching observations from a speeding car; and "The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie" is such an abject, aimless jam-rocker it could be The Spin Doctors. The Chili Peppers fare better when they stick to gritty riffing on "Goodbye Hooray", guitars scurrying around like vermin scattering from the light, or make a serious play of their pop-rock leanings, as on the slick "Monarchy Of Roses" and anthemic "Brendan's Death Song".
DOWNLOAD THIS: Monarchy Of Roses; Brendan's Death Song; Goodbye Hooray
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >