Album review: Bass Drum Of Death, Bass Drum Of Death (Innovative Leisure)
Like Drenge, Mississippi garage rocker John Barratt cleaves to the minimalist truth of basic rock'n'roll forms - in his case, making Bass Drum Of Death effectively a one-man band, hammering out strikingly melodic punk anthems in his home studio. His recording methods would appal most engineers: from the firing-squad fusillades of primitive drumming to the murky bass and guitar riffs burying the vocals, which sound like they're coming through the wall of a cheap motel. But it works: “Such A Bore” recycles the riff from “G.L.O.R.I.A” in the service of majestically surly anomie: “I don't know but I wouldn't be sure/Everybody's gonna be such a bore”. A new punk classic.
Download: Shattered Me; Such A Bore; I Wanna be Forgotten; Faces Of The Wind
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >