Album review: Blood Orange Cupid Deluxe (Domino)
A few years ago, Devonté Hynes was Lightspeed Champion, working with Van Dyke Parks on the baroque-pop follies of Bye Bye; now he's reinvented himself again as soft-soul auteur Blood Orange. "Chamakay" presents him at his best: an oozing dub-soul groove pockmarked with marimba, and Hynes's hushed, intimate vocal echoed by the ecstatic melisma of Caroline Polachek. It's like The Weeknd with a better attitude towards romance – though that's soon betrayed, as the next track admits, "I never was in love, you know that you were never good enough". Sometimes it suffers from Prince-like micromanagement, but when it succeeds, it's blissful: the retro-disco cut "Uncle ACE" wouldn't sound out of place, or outclassed, on that Daft Punk LP.
Download: Chamakay; You're Not Good Enough; Uncle ACE; Chosen
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 #NotGuilty: Second Oxford student writes of brutal rape by two men who then threw her in a bin as part of campaign against victim blaming
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 5 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
The C-Word - review: Sheridan Smith shines in a warm, honest adaptation of Lisa Lynch's book about living with cancer
X-Men Apocalypse: First look at Jubilee and Jean Grey played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
American Horror Story: Hotel Angela Bassett set to make 'lots of trouble' with Lady Gaga in season 5
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 4 - review: Sansa is in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous Six: Make-up 'used to darken skin of actors to make them look Native American'
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils