Album review: Bob Dylan, Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (Columbia)
While the Bootleg Series cupboard appears as well-stocked as ever, the value of outtakes from a notoriously weak album (Self Portrait) is debatable, though there are gems among the oddments.
The Civil War ballad "Pretty Saro" and Tom Paxton's "Annie's Going to Sing Her Song" are tenderly delivered, and "Working on a Guru" is an enjoyable, impromptu country-rocker with George Harrison on guitar.
A storming version of "Highway 61 Revisited" with The Band from the Isle of White leaves one gagging for the complete concert included in the deluxe set.
But the demos and stripped-back versions of the material offer few fresh insights, while a stilted take of "If Not for You" is laboured in the extreme.
Download: Pretty Saro; Highway 61 Revisited; Working on a Guru
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest