Album review: Bob Dylan, Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (Columbia)
While the Bootleg Series cupboard appears as well-stocked as ever, the value of outtakes from a notoriously weak album (Self Portrait) is debatable, though there are gems among the oddments.
The Civil War ballad "Pretty Saro" and Tom Paxton's "Annie's Going to Sing Her Song" are tenderly delivered, and "Working on a Guru" is an enjoyable, impromptu country-rocker with George Harrison on guitar.
A storming version of "Highway 61 Revisited" with The Band from the Isle of White leaves one gagging for the complete concert included in the deluxe set.
But the demos and stripped-back versions of the material offer few fresh insights, while a stilted take of "If Not for You" is laboured in the extreme.
Download: Pretty Saro; Highway 61 Revisited; Working on a Guru
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Game of Thrones actress begs for 'other princess work' after Myrcella Baratheon part is recast
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Palestinian artists transform smoke-filled Gaza into symbol of resistance
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >