Album review: Bob Dylan, Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (Columbia)
While the Bootleg Series cupboard appears as well-stocked as ever, the value of outtakes from a notoriously weak album (Self Portrait) is debatable, though there are gems among the oddments.
The Civil War ballad "Pretty Saro" and Tom Paxton's "Annie's Going to Sing Her Song" are tenderly delivered, and "Working on a Guru" is an enjoyable, impromptu country-rocker with George Harrison on guitar.
A storming version of "Highway 61 Revisited" with The Band from the Isle of White leaves one gagging for the complete concert included in the deluxe set.
But the demos and stripped-back versions of the material offer few fresh insights, while a stilted take of "If Not for You" is laboured in the extreme.
Download: Pretty Saro; Highway 61 Revisited; Working on a Guru
TVJamie's Sugar Rush reveal's campaigning chef's new foe
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees