Album review: Bob Dylan, Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (Columbia)
While the Bootleg Series cupboard appears as well-stocked as ever, the value of outtakes from a notoriously weak album (Self Portrait) is debatable, though there are gems among the oddments.
The Civil War ballad "Pretty Saro" and Tom Paxton's "Annie's Going to Sing Her Song" are tenderly delivered, and "Working on a Guru" is an enjoyable, impromptu country-rocker with George Harrison on guitar.
A storming version of "Highway 61 Revisited" with The Band from the Isle of White leaves one gagging for the complete concert included in the deluxe set.
But the demos and stripped-back versions of the material offer few fresh insights, while a stilted take of "If Not for You" is laboured in the extreme.
Download: Pretty Saro; Highway 61 Revisited; Working on a Guru
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Real-life Philomena says film is not 'anti-Catholic'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims