Album review: Bob Dylan, Folk Singer – Humdinger (Smith & Co)
This double-CD draws together some of the songs which comprised such early Dylan bootlegs as Great White Wonder and Stealin'.
The mostly live performances, all from 1961/62, depict a tyro talent steeped in the blues. Dylan's lyrical ambitions, meanwhile, were swiftly bearing fruit, as his repertoire of traditional ballads and blues was expanded through talking blues in the Woody Guthrie manner, topical broadsides like "Ballad of Hollis Brown", and early versions of "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" and "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right".
Download: A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall; Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues; Song To Woody
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain