Album: Roky Erickson with Okkervil River, True Love Cast Out All Evil (Chemikal Underground)
Friday 04 June 2010
America's very own Syd Barrett, 13th Floor Elevators founder Roky Erickson virtually invented psychedelia and garage-rock before drug abuse and paranoid schizophrenia left him committed to a mental asylum for years.
His first album in 14 years features cris du coeur from the edge of sanity, recalling treatment during which "electricity hammered me through my head", and grappling hopefully with a new world in which "you find out that you have no broken doors". Interspersed with found-sound fragments and recordings made while an inmate, the album features Roky's now whiskery drawl accompanied by fellow Texans Okkervil River on arrangements ranging from the Byrdsy jangle of "Bring Back the Past" to the thundercloud chords of "Goodbye Sweet Dreams".
DOWNLOAD THIS Ain't Blues Too Sad; Goodbye Sweet Dreams; Bring Back the Past
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >