Album: Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, I Learned the Hard Way (Dap-Tone)
Sunday 11 April 2010
The best retro-soul band in the world gets back to top form with a sassy collection of 1960s-style songs. (Think Back to Black with added authenticity.)
An opening sequence of three dance-around-the-kitchen numbers is hard to beat, but that third song, a loose-limbed funky strut called "Better Things", is so amazing you might never get beyond it. There's a slight dip thereafter, but a great recovery with the final, girl-group number, "Mama". Only a hair's-breadth away from a total standing ovation.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >