Album: Solomon Burke & De Dijk, Hold on Tight (The One/Universal)
Friday 26 November 2010
Solomon Burke's final album was recorded in Belgium with De Dijk, the Dutch equivalent of The Dap-Tones, a showband devoted to the soul tradition.
Indeed, it's adaptations of the group's original repertoire that furnish the album material, none more potent than the title-track opener, a smouldering Southern soul number on a theme of fellowship and perseverance, on which Burke's declamatory delivery is eerily haunted by the ghostly backing vocals. De Dijk handle the more muscular grooves confidently – the bustling soul-rocker "I Gotta Be with You" sounds like Solomon's influence on the Stones coming full-circle back to him – and add variety with the Latin tinge on "Good for Nothing" and the accordion and Mariachi trumpet of "My Rose Saved from the Street", but Burke's presence remains as commanding as ever even when the material sags.
DOWNLOAD THIS Hold on Tight; I Gotta Be with You; More Beauty
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >