Album: Stornaway, Beachcomber's Windowsill (4AD)
Friday 21 May 2010
There's an air of suspension about the eleven songs on Stornoway's debut, perhaps indicative of a band perched on the cusp of studenthood and real life.
A seabird wheels above the Arctic in "The Coldharbour Road"; a lovestruck youth drifts in romantic reverie in "I Saw You Blink"; and in "Fuel Up", songwriter Brian Briggs jump-cuts from being a nine-year-old back-seat passenger to driving the car nine years later. He switches transport for "Boats And Trains", a happy tale of drifting, and then manages to connect with a fellow drifter – possibly Jon Ouin, whose strings and keyboards furnish the varied song textures on Beachcomber's Windowsill. It's pleasant in parts, if a touch earnest; but crucially, as "Watching Birds" confirms, they can't rock'n'roll for toffee.
Download this: Boats And Trains; Zorbing; I Saw You Blink
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
JK Rowling drops new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict