Album: The 2 Bears, Be Strong (Southern Fried)
The debut album from the alliance of sound engineer Raphael Rundell and Hot Chip chap Joe Goddard ignores the generic divisions that have dissected dance music in favour of a return to the eclectic groove-making of classic house music.
With feelgood lyrics of fellowship allied to pulsing electro twitches, Sister Bliss-style piano vamps, sample fragments and sunrise synthscapes, there's a flavour of The Beloved to "Warm & Easy" and "Bear Hug", while the slippery "Be Strong" has the air of an Ian Brown conscious anthem. There are even a couple of classic chill-out come-downs, courtesy of "Faith" and mantra-chant "Church", the religious theme also extending into "Time in Mind", a song about conscience whose folksy guitar and bongoes are the album's only mis-step.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Birds & the Bees; Be Strong; Bear Hug; Warm & Easy
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government