Album: The Chieftains, Voice of Ages (Decca)
commemorate their 50th anniversary, The Chieftains here collaborate with
young luminaries of various roots-rock strains, from bluegrass virtuosi
the Punch Brothers to retro-minstrels the Carolina Chocolate Drops.
Paolo Nutini brings the apt timbre and weary dignity to "Hard Times (Come Again No More)", while The Decemberists' Colin Meloy has the sturdy asperity of a righteous ranter on a version of Dylan's "When The Ship Comes In". Lisa Hannigan's delivery of "My Lagan Love" is pure and crystalline, but the standout piece is "Down in the Willow Garden", on which Bon Iver's Justin Vernon does his multi-tracked vocal thing over haunting uillean pipes. Rounding off the album is "The Chieftains in Orbit", on which they accompany astronaut Cady Coleman's flute, recorded on the Space Station.
DOWNLOAD THIS Down in the Willow Garden; My Lagan Love; Hard Times (Come Again No More)
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 4 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 5 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
First Look at Bryan Cranston transformed into LBJ for HBO’s ‘All the Way’ film
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
This little boy loves books so much that he cries when his mother stops reading to him
Prog rock finally comes of age with launch of the first Official Progressive Chart
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up