Album: The Go! Team, Rolling Blackouts (Memphis Industries)
Sunday 30 January 2011
Right at the end of what is officially the most depressing month of the year comes a shaft of unadulterated sunshine.
After the darker, psych-flavoured Proof of Youth, the third album from the Go! Team is a return to what made everyone love their debut, namely a retro-modern mash-up of Northern Soul and old-skool hip-hop. There are two downbeat moments, "Super Triangle" and "Lazy Poltergeist", but other than that the mood is early Saint Etienne meets the Avalanches down the rollerdisco, wearing Sesame St costumes and chewing chocolate flavoured Bubblicious.
Which is why it makes perfect sense that on the title track (an “homage” to My Bloody Valentine’s “Strawberry Wine”) they’re joined by Bethany Cosentino, whose Best Coast are the only band who can match the Go! Team for feelgood factor.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'