Album: The Head And The HeartThe Head And The Heart (Heavenly)
Friday 29 July 2011
The Head And The Heart are the West Coast equivalent of Mumford & Sons, whiskery inheritors of folk tradition.
Perhaps they suffer from a similar difficulty in transferring their onstage ebullience to the studio. The UK edition of their debut has three extra tracks recorded in a church, which damps things even further. But there is still much to enjoy here: Josiah Johnson's vocals have an introvert fragility akin to Sufjan Stevens on "Down In The Valley" and a Brubeckian tempo and wordless falsetto refrain lend a curious charm to "Ghosts". "One day we'll all be ghosts, tripping about other peoples' homes," sings Johnson, cheerily, in one of the moments when he lets his chipper spirit get the better of his introspective inclinations.
DOWNLOAD THIS: Ghosts; Down In The Valley; Honey Come Home; Winter Song
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK