Album: The Kills, Midnight Boom (Domino)
Sunday 09 March 2008
The game's up for this kind of who-you-know-not-what-you-know Shoreditch smack-rock. Alison "VV" Mosshart and Jamie "Hotel" Hince have been peddling designer dangerousness for the best part of a decade. ("I want you to be crazy cos you're boring baby when you're straight/You're stupid when you're safe" is a typical trying-too-hard-to-sound-sleazy line from 'Midnight Boom'.) "Last Day of Magic" is mildly reminiscent of Robert Palmer's "Looking for Clues", and that's as close as I can get to a positive. "M.E.X.I.C.O.C.U." is so offensively stylised and fake it makes you want to punch something.
Download this: I wouldn't bother if I were you...
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special trailer released
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >