Album: The Marvelettes, Forever More: Complete Motown Albums Vol 2 (Motown/Universal)
Sunday 11 March 2012
Completing the canon of work by the Greatest Girl Group Ever. And though four discs is a ridiculous indulgence (we get both stereo and mono versions of two of the albums and a "vault gems" disc), there's no denying the essential genius of the 'Lettes, with or without Gladys Horton on board.
It's also true that, by the latter stages of their career, they had lost their teen brio and become a generic Motown bevy of ladies. But hell, it's the Marvelettes! Mwah!
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 4 Gary Lineker involved in Twitter row after presenter rubbishes claims he will be warned by BBC over foul-mouthed tweets
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books