Album: The Marvelettes, Forever, (Motown)
Sunday 19 July 2009
The Supremes weren't even the best girl group on Motown, let alone in the world. The Marvelettes were, although these things are, of course, a matter of taste.
Another take: as La Ross's lot were to Girls Aloud, so the 'Lettes were to TLC: streetsy, sassy, soulful girls at their best. Plus they got there first, "Please Mr Postman" and all. Here are their first half dozen albums plus bonus and live cuts, the Motown sound in its early pomp. And, in Gladys Horton, one of the great forgotten voices: the Incredible Husk.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains