Album: The Marvelettes, Forever, (Motown)
Sunday 19 July 2009
The Supremes weren't even the best girl group on Motown, let alone in the world. The Marvelettes were, although these things are, of course, a matter of taste.
Another take: as La Ross's lot were to Girls Aloud, so the 'Lettes were to TLC: streetsy, sassy, soulful girls at their best. Plus they got there first, "Please Mr Postman" and all. Here are their first half dozen albums plus bonus and live cuts, the Motown sound in its early pomp. And, in Gladys Horton, one of the great forgotten voices: the Incredible Husk.
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew