Album: The Marvelettes, Forever, (Motown)
The Supremes weren't even the best girl group on Motown, let alone in the world. The Marvelettes were, although these things are, of course, a matter of taste.
Another take: as La Ross's lot were to Girls Aloud, so the 'Lettes were to TLC: streetsy, sassy, soulful girls at their best. Plus they got there first, "Please Mr Postman" and all. Here are their first half dozen albums plus bonus and live cuts, the Motown sound in its early pomp. And, in Gladys Horton, one of the great forgotten voices: the Incredible Husk.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
SPOILERS: Do not read this if you have not seen series 5, episode 7 of ‘Made in Chelsea’ If you had ...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.