Album: The Orb featuring Lee Scratch Perry, The Observer in the Star House (Cooking Vinyl)
"Hearing is a feeling," sings Lee Scratch Perry on "Ball of Fire", "I am the maddest, scooby-dooby-doo" – and who would gainsay either claim?
This alliance with The Orb is positive for both parties, Perry providing a tighter rein on their tendency to meander, while they furnish him with a different terrain to his usual dub skanks, even bringing a more haunting tone to the familiar "Police & Thieves". Elsewhere, fingersnaps drive "Hold Me Upsetter", and disco hi-hats and quacking synths collude on "Soulman", while "Golden Clouds" is built around Steve Reich's "Electric Counterpoint". Not that Scratch seems phased: "Welcome, well done, welcome to the blazing sun!" he exults. "Shazam connect!". Indeed.
Download: Ball of Fire; Soulman; Police & Thieves
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to England and Arsenal striker