Album: The Raveonettes, In and Out of Control, (Fierce Panda)
Sunday 04 October 2009
This Danish duo has always had a sombre and uniquely Nordic take on 1960s Americana, the inevitable result of listening to the Beach Boys in a country where it's too chilly to surf.
Here, they've pushed that mismatch to the extreme: hear the way Sune Rose Wagner sings "And every time you overdose/ I rush to intensive care..." over twinkling xylophones, or Sharin Foo's incongruously cheerful "Boys Who Rape (Should Be Destroyed)". A cherry cyanide lollipop from the master and mistress of the art.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia