Album: The Raveonettes, In and Out of Control, (Fierce Panda)
Sunday 04 October 2009
This Danish duo has always had a sombre and uniquely Nordic take on 1960s Americana, the inevitable result of listening to the Beach Boys in a country where it's too chilly to surf.
Here, they've pushed that mismatch to the extreme: hear the way Sune Rose Wagner sings "And every time you overdose/ I rush to intensive care..." over twinkling xylophones, or Sharin Foo's incongruously cheerful "Boys Who Rape (Should Be Destroyed)". A cherry cyanide lollipop from the master and mistress of the art.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland