Album: The Steve Miller Band, Bingo! (Roadrunner/Loud & Proud)
Friday 18 June 2010
His first new album in 17 years finds the self-proclaimed Space Cowboy, Gangster of Love and Midnight Toker returning to the blues roots on which he cut his teenage teeth, before psychedelia turned his head.
Miller's signature easy-going charm is abundantly evident on covers of Lowell Fulson's "Tramp", Jesse Hill's "Ooh Poo Pah Doo", Jimmy Reed's "You Got Me Dizzy" – the closest musical equivalent to an inebriated stumblebum stagger – and B B King's once ubiquitous "Rock Me Baby", on which he duels guest axe-hero Joe Satriani to a standstill. It's a relaxed, enjoyable ride, not least because throughout, Miller manages to infuse his childhood favourites with the same kind of infectious party-pop spirit that marked his 1970s hits, not least on the uplifting opening salvo of "Hey Yeah".
DOWNLOAD THIS Hey Yeah; You Got Me Dizzy; Tramp; Ooh Poo Pah Doo
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
FestivalsFive ways to avoid the portable toilets
Jurassic WorldThe results are completely brilliant
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?