Album: The Steve Miller Band, Bingo! (Roadrunner/Loud & Proud)
Friday 18 June 2010
His first new album in 17 years finds the self-proclaimed Space Cowboy, Gangster of Love and Midnight Toker returning to the blues roots on which he cut his teenage teeth, before psychedelia turned his head.
Miller's signature easy-going charm is abundantly evident on covers of Lowell Fulson's "Tramp", Jesse Hill's "Ooh Poo Pah Doo", Jimmy Reed's "You Got Me Dizzy" – the closest musical equivalent to an inebriated stumblebum stagger – and B B King's once ubiquitous "Rock Me Baby", on which he duels guest axe-hero Joe Satriani to a standstill. It's a relaxed, enjoyable ride, not least because throughout, Miller manages to infuse his childhood favourites with the same kind of infectious party-pop spirit that marked his 1970s hits, not least on the uplifting opening salvo of "Hey Yeah".
DOWNLOAD THIS Hey Yeah; You Got Me Dizzy; Tramp; Ooh Poo Pah Doo
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote