Album: The Unthanks, Diversion Vol 1: The Songs of Robert Wyatt and Antony & the Johnsons (Rabblerouser)
Sunday 27 November 2011
Recorded a year ago in London's Union Chapel in front of an enraptured audience.
A feast of vulnerable balladry with a political heart and, audibly, much surrounding air. You probably know already whether you want this. It will depend on how you respond to felted voices and the cloaking atmosphere of delicate self-absorption which goes with them. The Hegarty songs respond slightly better to the treatment than do Wyatt's, with the exception of "Sea Song".
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk