Album: Tracy Bonham, Masts of Manhatta (Lojinx)
Friday 16 July 2010
Her first album in five years finds Tracy Bonham mostly reflecting on female rites of passage in songs like "In the Moonlight" and "Josephine" – the former featuring two girls out for the evening, the latter expressing the emptiness left behind when one runs off with a carnival worker.
The most assured is "Your Night Is Wide Open", in which cello and fingerstyle guitar backdrop idealised recollections, before brusque drums usher in a harder kernel of truth. But the standout track is surely "Devil's Got Your Boyfriend", an account of two-timing in which the sinuous, swaying Tom Waits-ian groove is laced with Bonham's elegant violin line and veneered with the 1940s charm of her harmonies, a brilliant blend of contrasting emotional pulls.
DOWNLOAD THIS Devil's Got Your Boyfriend; Your Night Is Wide Open; Josephine
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cecil the lion: Dentist Walter Palmer blames local guides in Zimbabwe for the scandal
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
New on Netflix August 2015: From Narcos and Spellbound to Kick Ass 2 and Dinotrux
Listen! Beowulf opening line misinterpreted for 200 years
Heath Ledger's father reveals dead actor's 'Joker diary' written during The Dark Knight
Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
Spectre: Ellie Goulding is almost definitely singing the theme song to the next Bond film
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband