Album: Tribes, Baby (Island)
Someone call social services, quick: these four young fellows have clearly been locked away in a darkened room for months with nothing but the first few Pixies albums for company.
That might have been a fruitful course of action when Kurt Cobain pursued the strategy a couple of decades ago, but it now comes across as unimaginative, and rather needy when applied to the singer Johnny Lloyd's wistful inbetweener reminiscences of fumbled romance and aimlessly anthemic pleas for decisive direction, as per "When My Day Comes". Until then, it seems, the blend of astringent guitars, dissonant harmonies and soft/loud dynamic familiar from Surfer Rosa and Doolittle will apparently suffice. Though guys, please note: the loud bit doesn't always have to be the chorus.
DOWNLOAD THIS Whenever; Corner of an English Field; When My Day Comes
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
- < Previous
- Next >