Album: Trio VD, Fill It Up with Ghosts (Babe)
Sunday 22 November 2009
Remember the Fast Show sketch about the trumpeter who, instead of blowing, sucked?
There's no trumpet in this Leeds-based three-piece of guitar, sax and drums but the music sounds similarly parodic: a free jazz thrash in the manner of John Zorn decades ago. The aesthetic – if you can call it that – is helter-skelter, stop-start, with all instruments hammering away regardless. They do hit a groove once or twice, but without offering any soulfulness or pleasure. As such, it's easy to dislike. File alongside Led Bib and Acoustic Ladyland.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Disney announces new female-led film Moana
Eight seconds of white noise is top of the Canadian iTunes chart because people love Taylor Swift that much
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Sensitive, silly and sensational
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world