Album: Various artists, Cartagena! The Big Band Cumbia and Descarga Sound of Colombia 1962-72 (Soundway)
Sunday 20 March 2011
The title tells you plenty, but it's worth adding that Cumbia compilations of this consistently high quality are pretty thin on the ground.
The bass does its swinging see-saw thing, the playful brass and the cheering, authoritative vocals vie for attention, and the percussion busies away in the background revelling in one of the most contagious rhythms of the past half-century. The Colombian coastal town of Cartagena must have been one great place to party.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Arts & Ents blogs
Heavy rain and years of 'benign neglect' may have caused Apollo Theatre roof collapse
Christmas TV guide 2013: Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
Justin Bieber isn't retiring from music after all
The Harry Hill Movie, film review: Screenplay isn't so much offbeat as utterly feeble
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >