Album: Various artists, Jazz on Film: Beat Square & Cool (Moochin' About)
Sunday 16 December 2012
There's not much of Charles Mingus's music for John Cassavetes' Shadows, but most of it is sublime, with Booker Ervin, John Handy and Shafi Hadi on saxes.
It's also great to hear Jackie McLean wailing on Shirley Clarke's The Connection, and a Norman Granz jam session for Les Tricheurs. But, like its predecessor, devoted to film noir, this labour-of-love five-disc set gives you complete versions of Hollywood fluff that's not worth listening to twice.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures