Album: Various Artists, Theme Time Radio Hour Vol 3 (Ace)
Friday 05 November 2010
Bob Dylan's tenure on Theme Time Radio Hour may be over, but this third compilation of 50 assorted highlights from the series confirms the exemplary taste of the show. No other programme covers as wide a range of music, ranging chronologically from Depression-era minstrelsy to the current decade's contribution from Laura Cantrell, and stylistically from country to calypso, rock to reggae, jazz to jive.
Included are original versions of songs covered by The Moody Blues (Bessie Banks's soulful "Go Now"), Mothers of Invention (The 4 Deuces' doowop "W-P-L-J") and Dylan himself (Ashley's chipper murder ballad "Little Sadie"), alongside standout cuts like Oscar Aleman's Django-esque "Bye Bye Blues" and Dave Bartholomew's trenchant refutation of evolution, "The Monkey (Speaks Its Mind)".
DOWNLOAD THIS Go Now; Bye Bye Blues; The Monkey (Speaks Its Mind)
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk