Album: Various artists, Theme Time Radio with Your Host Bob Dylan (Ace)
Sunday 02 March 2008
There's no actual Bob Dylan but this canny double CD compilation of 50 songs aired on his celebrated XM Radio show is filled with wonders.
The original structural themings (Radio, Guns, Food, etc) are all mixed up so what we get is a bran-tub of old-timey blues, gospel, country, pop, R&B and a little jazz, reggae and punk ("Tommy Gun" by the Clash), with nary a duff track. Dylan seems attracted by linguistic quirks and strong, singular (even deranged-sounding) performances. Juxtaposed with the genius of Memphis Minnie, Aretha or Billie Holiday, it makes you yee-haw with joy.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 2 Orange Is The New Black has not been cancelled – it was a hoax
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action