Album: Various artists, TV Sound and Image (Soul Jazz)
If you half-remember the 1970s – or even just its TV repeats – you can't help getting a kick out of this two-CD digest of theme music co-compiled by retro-specialist Johnny Trunk.
But did you realise that Tony Hatch's Man Alive synth-warble was acid house before its time? All 36 tracks are well-crafted, but you won't necessarily want to hear them more than once. Roy Budd's theme for Get Carter (not a TV programme) is the exception that proves the rule.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Boxing: Carl Froch slams fellow Brits for sparring with Mikkel Kessler
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.