Album: Various artists, We Are Only Riders: the JLP Sessions (Glitterhouse)
Sunday 10 January 2010
A "tribute" album of sorts, to the late Jeffrey Lee Pierce of the Gun Club; except that in place of individual artists doing new interpretations of JLP songs, a coterie of friends combine to finish a batch of tunes demoed roughly by Pierce with one Cypress Grove.
Nick Cave, Debbie Harry, The Raveonettes, Mark Lanegan... Some do it live in the studio, others dial in digitally: reverb-laden tales of torment and gothic weather cadenced like falling masonry. Best consumed when Lydia "Ham" Lunch is nowhere to be heard.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world