Album: Vintage Trouble, The Bomb Shelter Sessions (VintageTrouble)
Friday 22 July 2011
Vintage Trouble's music harks back to the erotically-charged blues-rock of the 1970s, but with a funky edge that recalls The Black Crowes.
Signature song "Blues Hand Me Down" rides a rumbling R&B rock groove lashed with raw guitar, and kept in check by Ty Taylor's brusque assessment of his situation; subsequent numbers vary the rhythmic momentum – from the rumba-rock roll of "Nancy Lee" to the slow, sinuous funk-rock of "Jezzebella" – but the lyrical aim doesn't shift more than a degree or two from love, either yearned for, promised or abandoned. It's done with panache, if scant originality: Taylor's vocals have the terse, commanding sexuality of Paul Rodgers in his Free pomp, while the band manipulates the various blues and raunch-rock mannerisms with a swagger that Keef himself would be proud of.
DOWNLOAD THIS: Blues Hand Me Down; You Better Believe It
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >