Album: White Noise Sound, White Noise Sound (Alive Natural Sound)
Friday 14 January 2011
Like White Lies, Swansea sextet White Noise Sound are heavily beholden to the sound of Eighties indie, in their case the ponderous, looming space-rock of Spacemen 3 and razoring, distorted guitar of The Jesus and Mary Chain.
It all comes together with maximum impact on the opening "Sunset", whose electro-punk pulse could be from Suicide's debut album, and "No Place to Hide", in which dense layers of synths and miasmic guitar drones ride a determined groove to a pleasing Neu!-style conclusion. It's a beautifully sequenced set, with the slow swells of tremulous guitars and strings in the penultimate "Don't Wait for Me" segueing smoothly into the Popol Vuh-ish sitar and guitar tonalities of the concluding "(In Both) Dreams and Ecstasies".
DOWNLOAD THIS Sunset; No Place to Hide; Don't Wait for Me; (In Both) Dreams and Ecstasies
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia