Album: Zomby, Dedication (4AD)
Friday 15 July 2011
The more you listen to Dedication, the more alluring Zomby's stripped-back eskibeat dubstep pieces become. They're like small, beautiful flowers that only bloom the more familiar they become.
Most involve little more than an electro stutter, a treated sample, a one-finger synth line, and maybe a fingerclick, but Zomby creates a small, self-regulating world from these few elements. Unlike a lot of digital music, it's not about what to add, more how little a piece needs to succeed, like the broken fragments of vocal in "Natalia's Song", the sped-up gamelan of "Florence", or the gentle tribal tom-tom and vibes used to create the miniature exotica of "Salamander". But there's a pervasive haunted sense of loss and melancholy that links these 16 tracks together, giving Dedication a depth and elegance not often found in more dance-focused dubstep.
DOWNLOAD THIS Natalia's Song; Things Fall Apart; Alothea; Digital Rain
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge?'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up