Album: Zomby, Dedication (4AD)
Friday 15 July 2011
The more you listen to Dedication, the more alluring Zomby's stripped-back eskibeat dubstep pieces become. They're like small, beautiful flowers that only bloom the more familiar they become.
Most involve little more than an electro stutter, a treated sample, a one-finger synth line, and maybe a fingerclick, but Zomby creates a small, self-regulating world from these few elements. Unlike a lot of digital music, it's not about what to add, more how little a piece needs to succeed, like the broken fragments of vocal in "Natalia's Song", the sped-up gamelan of "Florence", or the gentle tribal tom-tom and vibes used to create the miniature exotica of "Salamander". But there's a pervasive haunted sense of loss and melancholy that links these 16 tracks together, giving Dedication a depth and elegance not often found in more dance-focused dubstep.
DOWNLOAD THIS Natalia's Song; Things Fall Apart; Alothea; Digital Rain
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict