CD review: Ramones, The Sire Years 1976-81 (Sire/Rhino)
Sunday 03 November 2013
Ramonistas of refined sensibility will tell you that only two of the group’s first six albums are essential to life: Ramones and Rocket to Russia. They are essential like certain proteins are. But, equally, if someone offered you all six in a neat little box for affordable moneyola, you’d be a fool not to...
Well, here you go, nicely in time for Christmas: the most exquisite boiling-down of cartoon pop into a rockin’ elixir ever concocted. This, readers, is what you take to feel alive.
Gratifying to note, too, that the celebrity produced End of the Century (1980, Phil Spector) and Pleasant Dreams (1981, Graham Gouldman) still don’t cut it like the first four. (And don’t expect the usual box-set frills, either — because there are none).
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Hey Arnold! is coming back, and possibly Rugrats too
First Look at Bryan Cranston transformed into LBJ for HBO’s ‘All the Way’ film
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
Photographer captures the beauty and intensity of his girlfriend giving birth at home
Prog rock finally comes of age with launch of the first Official Progressive Chart
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up