DVD: Alison Krauss, A Hundred Miles or More, (Decca/Rounder)
Sunday 04 January 2009
An hour "in the studio" with the purest musician in America, watching her do songs from her last, elegant but over-finessed album. For a woman who places so much emphasis on naturalness and authenticity, she must really like her make-up artist, who appears to have done the job with a spatula and blowtorch.
Nice outfits, though. And hair. The music? Nine songs, starting with "You're Just a Country Boy", performed with eminent guests in a hallowed atmosphere, plus interviews. About as natural and spontaneous as a 'Vogue' cover shoot.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 4 Black teen in critical condition after store employee 'shoots him for stealing 79-cent pack of cookies'
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture