Bitter stage stars out of tune with reality of life in TV
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
Revenge is a dish best served up in song – if you’re a Broadway star.
Andrew Rannells, Megan Hilty and Laura Benanti stole the show at last week’s Tony Awards with a bitter musical homage to their television flops. With credits including The Book of Mormon, Wicked and Gypsy to their names, the three performers recently left the theatre for high-profile roles – Rannells in The New Normal, Hilty in Smash and Benanti in Go On – in TV shows which were all axed this year.
Their showstopper - including lyrics “You gotta have a series if you want a shot at fame”, and chorus “I like to be in a TV show” sung to the West Side Story tune, climaxed with Benanti (who also starred in The Playboy Club, which was cancelled after just three episodes in 2011), swigging from a bottle, belting out “Television sucks!”
The last word/ verse went to host Neil Patrick Harris, star of nine series of How I Met Your Mother who sang, “We can’t all have a long-running hit TV show like my own”. Very funny, but might the sight of three flops made flesh lead TV producers to think twice about putting stars of the stage on the small screen in future?
Also in the Arts Diary
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories