In pictures: From the mother of all on-screen monsters to the soap mums you'd like to adopt
Ahead of Mother's Day we look at the best and worst Mums from the box
As Mother’s Day approaches this Sunday we look at the TV mums you’d love to curl up with on the sofa, versus those destined to make your life a living misery.
Be grateful for your mum because you could have been dealt a far worse hand. Like Brassy Kat Slater, from EastEnders, who neglected to tell you for 16 years that you were her daughter, or Monica from Friends' hypercritical overbearing mother.
On the flipside, the mums among you should take tips from your television counterparts that are just down right great. And it’s not often that people on the box are nice people. Jessica Brody from Homeland is dedicated to the cause, always concerned about her brood and wanting to do the best thing for them, while Pamela from Gavin and Stacey is a total lovable riot.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron 'after credits' scene leaks online days before cinema release
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate