Whovians may have to wait until September for Matt Smith's Doctor Who successor to be announced
The bookies may be rubbing their hands together as speculation about Skyfall’s Rory Kinnear and Homeland’s David Harewood gather momentum, but Doctor Who fans are going to have to wait for some time to discover who will be the successor to Matt Smith’s Time Lord.
The BBC now says it will be August or September before the identity of the character’s 12 incarnation, according to insiders quoted in the Radio Times.
Filming of the Christmas special – which will be followed by the full series – will not take place until the autumn and sources say the identity of the new Doctor will be unveiled just prior to filming.
Whovians had hoped to have their new Gallifreyan by July as the BBC had hoped to commence filming of the Christmas special next month.
“Suffice to say we are completely on track,” said a BBC spokeswoman said.
Meanwhile the rumour mill has gone into overdrive with Kinnear and Harewood competing with other major names from Dominic Cooper, Domhall Gleeson, Daniel Kaluuya just some of those thought to be up for the role.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories