Conservative call for lower energy bills
Sunday 04 October 2009
The "cartel" of the "big six" energy firms will be referred to the Competition Commission as one of the first acts of a Conservative government, it is reported here today.
In an interview with The Independent on Sunday, Tory energy spokesman Greg Clark said there was an unacceptable lag between the cost of wholesale gas and household bills – with customers on average paying £74 too much a year.
The gas and electricity companies accused of refusing to pass on reductions in wholesale energy prices to customers will be subject to an independent investigation.
At the Tory conference this week, Mr Clark will announce an "energy revolution" which will also see gas and electricity bills overhauled, so that they show householders how they could be saving money.
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...