Conservative call for lower energy bills
Sunday 04 October 2009
The "cartel" of the "big six" energy firms will be referred to the Competition Commission as one of the first acts of a Conservative government, it is reported here today.
In an interview with The Independent on Sunday, Tory energy spokesman Greg Clark said there was an unacceptable lag between the cost of wholesale gas and household bills – with customers on average paying £74 too much a year.
The gas and electricity companies accused of refusing to pass on reductions in wholesale energy prices to customers will be subject to an independent investigation.
At the Tory conference this week, Mr Clark will announce an "energy revolution" which will also see gas and electricity bills overhauled, so that they show householders how they could be saving money.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...