National Trust bids for Welsh coastline
Tuesday 10 August 2010
As holidaying in the UK grows in popularity, the National Trust has stepped in to save a kilometre of Welsh coastline from the growing army of "staycationers".
If it succeeds in acquiring the land on the south-west tip of the Llyn peninsula, it will be the biggest piece of coastline the trust has secured for five years.
"It's a place that's been at grave risk of inappropriate development and [one] we want to purchase and protect forever," said Paul Lewis of the National Trust.
"This is a true jewel in our national coastline; a home to a fragile community that depends on the sea for its very existence, as well as being a delicate ecosystem of rare plant and wildlife."
The National Trust is launching an appeal to fund the £3m acquisition.
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
£16000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for individual...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Vehicle Inspectors / Pu...