27 years of London Fashion Week - in pictures
Wednesday 16 February 2011
London Fashion Week returns on Friday for the twenty-seventh year running.
Founded by the British Fashion Council in 1984, its first show included Betty Jackson, Ghost, and John Galliano's debut collection. The event was organised by London Designer’s Collective founder Annette Worsley-Taylor and PR Lynne Franks.
Since its launch, the event has shocked, fascinated, and influenced fashion around the world. The show has launched the careers of British designers, from Alexander McQueen to Stella McCartney, and introduced models such as Kate Moss and Lily Cole to the catwalk.
From the sculptural hats of Philip Treacy and Hussein Chalayan’s "table-dress", to the more modest designs of Issa, London Fashion Week has always set trends: Mid-nineties "Cool Britannia" made the union jack fashionable. In recent years, designers have popularised military-look jackets, Fair Isle knitwear and maxi-dresses.
Here we bring you some of the iconic looks from the fashion extravaganza:
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
£500 - £680 per day: Harrington Starr: Murex Business Analyst - 1000 CHF per d...
£35000 - £42000 per annum + excellent company benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group:...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£39000 - £425000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Newly Qualified ...