27 years of London Fashion Week - in pictures
Wednesday 16 February 2011
London Fashion Week returns on Friday for the twenty-seventh year running.
Founded by the British Fashion Council in 1984, its first show included Betty Jackson, Ghost, and John Galliano's debut collection. The event was organised by London Designer’s Collective founder Annette Worsley-Taylor and PR Lynne Franks.
Since its launch, the event has shocked, fascinated, and influenced fashion around the world. The show has launched the careers of British designers, from Alexander McQueen to Stella McCartney, and introduced models such as Kate Moss and Lily Cole to the catwalk.
From the sculptural hats of Philip Treacy and Hussein Chalayan’s "table-dress", to the more modest designs of Issa, London Fashion Week has always set trends: Mid-nineties "Cool Britannia" made the union jack fashionable. In recent years, designers have popularised military-look jackets, Fair Isle knitwear and maxi-dresses.
Here we bring you some of the iconic looks from the fashion extravaganza:
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
- < Previous
- Next >
Not Specified: Recruitment Genius: An exciting and rewarding role exists for a...
£25000 - £28000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Excellent opportun...
£30000 - £45000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based i...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + BENEFITS: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: CREST Web...